Tuesday 14 May 2013

Out With The Old, In With The New

These last few weeks have been crazy to say the least. From the moment I was told that I was successful I have been busy organising and planning for my placement. On top of that I am also moving out of my current home, I have been living witn the Appletons for several months and they have been a second family to me. I have accumulated so much rubbish since moving to England 4 years ago, I have 5 bin bags full of clothes I am giving away and 2 big boxes full of books. Not to mention the pile of tat that my younger self seemed to feel was very important to hold ont, like broken crayons and half empty bottles of shampoo.

This placement has instigated an exorcism of everything that came before. It has reminded me that the only thing that stays with you is the memories of the people you met and the places you have been. Personally I feel like I need to get rid of the old to make way for the new and I think that is so exciting! I am excited to see who I will be when I come back; I know I will have a few more freckles and be (hopefully) a bit thinner. I did not intend for this blog to take such a philosophical turn but when the next chapter of your life opens up in front of you and asks you to start writing it, it is hard to think any other way.

On another (and no less important) note I would like to announce that I have reached my fundraising target in just a fee weeks! This has been a surprising and humbling experience. I never knew I had so many family and friends that thought so much of me. I don't know if their love and generosity says more about me or them? In any case I cannot thank them enough, it has made this whole process easier and lifted a huge weight from my shoulders.

Not only do I need to organise funds, passports and jabs before I leave I need to think about my Action at Home for when I return. Up until today I had no idea what I could do for it, I really wanted to work with my old school but the principle wasn't interested. However, I needed to get our local priest Fr Paul Bryne to sign my passort application and we got talking about the reason why I was going out to Sierra Leone and what my Action at Home was about. He gave me some brilliant advice on who to contact and make links with when I come back. A word of advice to anyone else in my position, make links with the right people in your community, you'd be surprised who would be willing to help.

I know this post was supposed to give more detailed and information in Sierra Leone but to be honest I am still doing my research and want to be well informed before writing about such a complex country.

Next blog will be out in a week and a bit. Let me know if there is anything specific that you wish for me to talk about regarding my placement :)

Have a great week everyone!












Ui
P6






No comments:

Post a Comment